Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Davis done!

While waiting to hear anything (I mean anything at all really!) for the first place I sent the cv two weeks ago (no shortlisting has taken place as far as I know), I have completed today the more ambitious application for Davis. It would be such a boost to even be considered and be above the threshold they require. Submission deadline is friday. We'll see if anything comes of it.

Meanwhile with all this work done, I have a super up todate cv, a teaching statement and a research statement done and vetted! Never a bad thing you know.

I'll keep you posted.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Waiting waiting waiting

Still no news on the job application, I know it's very early still (closing date for submission was last thursday) but still...any time I hear the "ding" of an email, my heart jumps!

I am so ready for a change. We had a staff meeting today and I just kept telling myself to let things go, the new boss is just not capable for the job and I need to look "into my space" like my psychologist says and not let it bother me too much.

Another recent news is that Oliver got a place in the school we really really wanted! It's an educate together model, non-denominational (as in not religiously led) and child-centred. I was so excited when I got the email and the system here is so crazy that you have to put the name of your child down for schools as soon as he is born (even before!!) so everyone "reserves" places in many schools because you don't know where you will be accepted and the waiting lists can be ridiculously long you may end up in the one school that has a poor reputation.
Talking about school, I had three things which were very important for me (on top of obviously good reputation of the school) but hard to come by in the Country. The school has to be mixed (boys and girls together), possibly no uniform (the mental association for me having grown up in Italy is that uniforms are for military and fascists type schools) and possibly religion should be taught as an inclusive subject rather than being a form of indoctrination (this is still Ireland).  In primary school, children may be taught for say 20 hours in a week, 2 may be catholic religion and if the school has a very strict catholic ethos, children pray several times a day. I would find that ver very difficult to accept as normal to be honest. I rather have the children attending catechism in the church for their communion etc, and have them study different subjects when in school. So I'm delighted with this outcome!
Martina is really good, came down with a high fever tonight, no other symptoms a part from being off form. We'll see how she sleeps and how she is tomorrow. The weather has suddenly changed so I'm not surprised we have entered bug season!

Finally I am quite well, now my back is bothering me, pain migrates from one part to another and I know it's mostly psychosomatic (and bad posture in the office), thankfully I see the chiropractor this saturday for an adjustment and I must go back to the gym after the conference, so hopefully tomorrow....

Saturday, October 18, 2014


I am back from almost a week in Belgium in this jewel of a town where the conference was. Like the last time in Spain my parents joined me and so I brought Oliver who is now the best traveller and quite a funny companion.

My talk was on wednesday and I did a lot of fruitful networking. Hopefully something good will come out. There was also the big boss of the place where I applied a couple of weeks ago. He was really nice and paid me lots of compliment after my talk, but said nothing at all about the position (he knows very well I have applied, but it would have been quite unprofessional to talk about it given that they are shortlisting now). So I am no wiser. I will apply to a position in UC Davis also, a very long shot but why not?

Martina had a great time with Mike and today we were all reunited (last night we arrived back that she was asleep) and happy!

That's it from me for the moment, story time is calling and I have to go!

Monday, October 6, 2014

#MicroblogMondays giving this a go

Right, I'll try this one too.

I just found out from a friend who lives in our same estate that there is a strong possibility at least part of the development is affected by pyrite. Tests came up positive for two houses. What this means is that if quarry the builders used at the time they build your house was contaminated, the foundations of your building are unstable. Overtime they will shift and expand and eventually the house will collapse. Collapse. It must be remediated. There is a national remediation board but our estate was never considered "at risk" so a major process will need to be initiated to get funding to repair the foundation. Can take up to 2 years. While the works are going on, for 3 months, you have to move out. I can't bare to think about it. If we come up positive the house is unsellable in its current state.

If you want to find out more about #MicroblogMondays click here