Saturday, February 25, 2012

What's new?

Not much really...I've been so so busy with work I actually don't think anything happened at all! Maybe a bit of news is that I'm thinking of changing my car. I have a 2004 Nissan Micra, still works and I look after her of course but it is a left hand drive import from Italy and on a couple of occasion, specially with Oliver in the car, I felt I really didn't have enough visibility (in Ireland they drive on the left hand side and so cars are right had drive). I always thought that my car was great if we were going to France on holidays, and we did go on an "on-the-road" trip to Europe a few years ago, but it's not something that it's likely to happen again soon. So I'm looking at some bigger cars, probably a crossover. I'm going to test drive one next saturday...that will be fun...with the car at the "wrong" side of me, I'll look like a newbie! I'll better practice in some parking lot with Mike's car first.

Today I sold part of my original stash of bamboo nappies (I sold 12 and kept 8....you know...just in case) and I know I'm still due a review on the bamboo ones vs the Charlie banana and I will do it soon. But what I wanted to talk about was the fact that the girl who contacted me about the nappies through a local board, is not due till the end of the summer!! Fair play on her, I wish I had her confidence at the time! She was lovely, actually, I didn't tell her anything about my story of course (you wouldn't want to scare the crap out of a mom-to-be!) but it was refreshing to see that there are people for which a positive test equal a baby and they don't know any different. It also sort of saddened me to remember how little I enjoyed my pregnancy, with the constant fear of something going wrong...and I wonder if it will be different next time (hopefully there will be a next time). I want it to be different but I am not sure my traumatised mind will cooperate.

I don't know if I ever told you that I'm collaborating on a research project with a paediatric surgeon. It's great to have someone I can talk to when I have a "fear-attack" on Oliver's health and generally he just says the right thing i.e. "don't be silly!". But last tuesday I went to his lab which is based in the main children's hospital. While of course I was no where near patients, it was impossible not to know that very sick children of all ages are in that hospital. I could have gotten a tour of the wards etc but that would have killed me. I never ever want to be there for any other reason than work and research. How do those doctors go home every evening and leave the horror behind it's a mystery to me. Anyway, I suppose someone has to do it.

In other, much lighter news, I'm really happy some of my favourite bloggers have the removed the hated word verification! Please join the movement!

Love to all

3 comments:

Alex said...

Hey there! I don't think I would like to spend much time in a children's hospital - way too scary to think about... And I agree with you about how I was scared in my pregnancy. Next time (and yes, there will be one for both of us!) let's be happier in our pregnancies, ok? Deal! :)

Momasita said...

It sounds like an interesting project to be working on. I think the dr's have to just keep the memories of the kids they help and save. That's what would keep me going, although I don't think I could do that kind of job.

Anonymous said...

Good luck finding a new car - we need a new (and BIG) one too. You know, when I was a pediatric nurse (long before Scout, of course), my feeling was that I could not have prevented those children from being sick, but I did have the ability to make their hospital stay more comfortable/fun and less scary. I tried my best to be kind to them as I cared for them, to make them smile, to play with them and help them feel better so that, years later, when they recalled their hospital stay, it wouldn't be all horrible.

That said, I hope you're never there for any reason other than work or research either!