Friday, July 22, 2011

Sleeping problems

Oliver will be 29 weeks tomorrow and I am not sure what's happening but his sleeping routine is gone out the window. First I thought it was because we were on holidays, then maybe it took sometime to readjust but nope, our dream boy who slept through the night since he was a few weeks old has started waking up possibly every 2 hours...

He has a nap in the morning, of various length (30 mins- 1 hour) then he has a long nap in the afternoon (1.30-2hrs) and then goes to bed as he has always done around 8-8.30 pm. He sleeps solidly till about 11pm when he cries a bit and we call it "a soother emergency", you go up, give him the soother and that's all that's needed. Till a month ago, you wouldn't hear him till 7am in the morning, when he would wake up happily chatting to himself and didn't need attention for about another hour. It was great going. Now he cries for a bit before sleeping, nothing major, no drama, doesn't really need anything a part from the soother and he's asleep within 10-15 minutes from going to bed. And then the occasional waking up starts. First it was because he may have rotated in the bed, getting stuck sideways. Then it was because he may have rolled over onto his belly and couldn't get back on his back. But now it's just waking up crying (not an upset cry, just a nagging one) you go in, he's not stuck anywhere, give him his soother, and back out to bed. After a couple of hours it happens again. And again. And again. Maybe he's warm, maybe he's cold, maybe he's thirsty/hungry, maybe he has a sore tummy, maybe he's teething...I have no idea.

Any tips or comforting thoughts? A part from this he's the usual sweet baby, eats happily (chicken too!) and plays. I'm running out of things to try... I had read somewhere that as they grow to this age, the World during the day is so interesting that they don't want to give it up at night, can this be it?

11 comments:

Life Happens said...

Sorry I don't have any advice on the sleeping yet. My little guy is a month behind yours so I'm interested to see what advice people will give you.

I hope he starts to settle down through the night for you. :)

Alex said...

No advice, but that sucks that he's having such difficulty sleeping after doing so well! Hang in there!

Praying for Hope said...

Kate went through that phase at about 34 - 37/38 weeks. It passes. We never figured out what the problem was. I think it was a stage and that's it.

Anonymous said...

I only know that having a strong bedtime routine is key. But, it sounds like you're doing that already. I wish you the best.

BB said...

RT had this going... at around 6-7 months. It is a phase... he will either get over it or you will want to do the CIO (even if you are against it). :P

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

The phase of being able to move somewhat but not totally is brief but boy does it mess with sleep. Even though I have a strict policy to leave them alone at night, I had to go in many times during that age to rescue a baby whose arm had gotten stuck between the crib slats.

I suggest trying to go in only when it's urgent (i.e., very upset crying) and otherwise letting him soothe himself back to sleep.

Circus Princess said...

I feel like I'm reading about Bubba! Same thing going on over here, our super sleeper suddenly wakes up every two hours and will not go back to sleep without a boob in his mouth! Yawn. Hoping it's just a faze and will go away once we're settled on the other side of theAtlantic.

C said...

Oh Fran, I'm so sorry to read this. Unfortunately I don't have any advice. I don't remember Kate going through this stage. Her sleep does change with new developments and skills, but nothing like what you're describing. I'll let you know if I come across any words of wisdom.

Take Care!
C

BelowAverageAthlete said...

Hi Fran - My little girl went through the same thing about this time. Is he working on sitting up or another developmental milestone? Sometimes as they approach developmental milestones, sleep is disrupted until they figure it out. We had a tough time sleeping from month 5 to 8. She also got her 2 bottom teeth at that time. My only advice is to try and sleep when he is sleeping. Even if it is during the day while he naps. It is only temporary and he was a good sleeper before, so he will be again. Grace is sleeping through the night again at 9 months and it is wonderful!

lostintranslation said...

No advice really. My little one was a horrible sleeper between 3 and 7 months, then after that it improved a lot and for a long time now it's been great. Here's hoping it will be just a short phase because I can tell you that after 4 months of waking up every 2 hours every night, I was a complete wreck.

Stacey Lang said...

Babies need to learn to comfort themselves to sleep. Allowing the baby to go to sleep in his parent's arms or with the breast, bottle or a pacifier in his mouth, is simply patterning the need for this association and environmental support into the infant's sleep habits.

how can i stop snoring