Friday, August 26, 2011

7 and half months check up with the nurse

Today I brought Oliver to the local health centre to be checked out by the nurse. I would have walked but we seem to be experiencing quite a few summer thunderstorms (at least 3 today).
Anyway, I wasn't particularly worried about anything, I know that at this visit they would check baby's hearing, height and weight, postural milestones etc. We had Oliver's ear check when he was 2 weeks old at the paed and I know he's growing like a weed and he's in good health. If I had one small concern is that I'm under the impression that his foreskin is a bit tight (circumcision is not commonly done in Europe), but I didn't really know what it should look like at this age.

Anyway, the hearing test was quite fun, I sat with Oliver on my lap facing a nurse who would grab his attention with a toy. Meanwhile another nurse (the assessing one) was behind me making noises to our right or left and Oliver would turn his head to the right or left. Actually he didn't hear two tones from his right and a different tone from his left but the nurse said it's very common and to go back in 2/4 weeks to repeat it. Hopefully it'll be fine then.

His weight is a whopping 9kg (a kg in just over a month!!) and his hight is 71cm which puts him nicely between the 50th and the 75th percentile!! Wohoo this is coming from a little one who was always in the 25th percentile!! He sat up nicely for the nurse and showed her how much he's keen to actually stand on his feet. His feeding stage is where it should be so I'm pleased I got full marks for my little one.

She had a look at his foreskin and yes, she think it's a bit tight but that a doctor should have a look. I'm thinking to wait till the next hearing test and then go back to the paediatrician.

I'm also happy to say that he's back to sleeping much better, last night he slept from 8pm to 6 am this morning, it was a soother emergency and he went right back to sleep for another hour and a half.

In other news, I got a call from the crèche where he'll be going to set up his induction dates. It'll happen the week before he starts so wednesday the 28th of September is the first hour! Also, I'll be unfortunately at a conference his first full day there (monday the 3rd) so it'll be up to Mike to drop him at the crèche that morning. My flight is due back in Dub at 2pm though so I'll go straight to pick him up. I'm really excited and not worried about this new step in his growth, I think he'll have a great time, hopefully I won't be proven wrong!

9 comments:

Chelle said...

Awww. He is doing so well. It is always so reassuring to know that your child is on target. Admittedly, it feels good when they are in the upper percentiles too. ;)

Glad to hear everything is still going so well. You sound very happy. :)

Life Happens said...

He is growing! You're doing a great job!

When you say 'creche' does that mean his daycare??

Glad he's sleeping through the night!

Alex said...

Glad to hear everything is going so well! Love that he's so healthy!

Anonymous said...

Welcome home! I was hoping to see a picture of your growing boy (maybe next post?)...sounds like you had a wonderful holiday and are immediately busy at home. I was not familiar with the term "creche" and had to look it up...then I smiled because you are handling it so much better than me! We are just now looking into daycare for Scout and I am a WRECK about it! And next up...your cycle!

erika said...

Great stats, Little Oliver!
I keep wondering how they evaluate babies reactions to these hearing tests? it must be tricky to get proper feedback, that's why the commonly funky results.
Fingers crossed for all clear at the checkup.

Ditto #wouldlovetoseemorepics :)

C said...

Sounds like a great appointment! He's growing and developing so well.

Miss you both already.

St Elsewhere said...

So happy to read that he is doing well. I sure hope that his hearing tests will say perfect in the next appointment.

I love that you call daycare as creche....I hope he enjoys himself there.

Anonymous said...

So glad he's doing so well. I hope he keeps getting better at his sleeping.

BTW: I just wrote a post for you on my blog!!! ;-)

Adele said...

Glad that Oliver got a clean bill of health!