Tuesday, October 26, 2010

OB visit!

All looks good. We had a quick look at Elvis who is still head down and so much bigger! Our OB doesn't take measurements but just checks that everything is in order. The only thing is that my placenta is still low. It's never been previa but it sits very near the cervix. The doctor said there's plenty of time and I will have a more accurate scan at 34 weeks to make sure it's distant enough from the cervix to allow for a safe natural birth. If not, we'll schedule a C-section. No big deal for me really, we'll do what we have to do! Oh, my uterus is as big at it should be, so in fact I'm not sure where my stomach is any more...maybe behind it?

He also answered all my questions very extensively. First of all he's of the opinion that kick counting may cause a bit of stress and the pattern may change quite a bit even daily. He says a baby can sleep between 1 and 1 and half hour where he doesn't move at all and it's perfectly normal to have times of the day when you don't feel anything for a while. So if you pick that hour to do the kick count you may panic for no reason. He also said you can never have to many movements, if a baby is in distress it will move less to preserve energy, not more. From my description of the movements he said Elvis is very active! Go Elvis! I'd say he's practising songs!
In any case, he said that if I have a day where I have been very busy and realise I didn't feel Elvis moving much, to sit down and do the counting. If I'm not satisfied with the counting to go straight to the hospital (i.e. do not wait for the next day!) and they'll check me out. It's good enough for me!
Next the glucose test: as I have no family history of diabetes, my blood pressure and weight are perfectly normal and the pregnancy is progressing very well, he thinks the urine test is enough to keep me monitored (and I do it at every visit). Perfect so!
Finally the flu vaccine: he would recommend it. Mainly he said that if I do get the flu I have 4 times higher risk to get complications (baby will be fine) and the worst that can happen is pneumonia. So I'm thinking about it. Mom just reminded me that the only time I had a flu vaccine when I was a child I had quite a reaction to it so she is a bit uneasy about it. We'll ask our family friend OB for an opinion and see (and thanks for your kind opinion on this matter too!)

Next appointment on the 16th of November! And from then on it'll be every 2 weeks!!

In other news, we have cleared the office in the house and Mike has done major relocation of all the stuff that was stored in the attic...works are less than a week away!!

15 comments:

Life Happens said...

Elvis is dancing around!! I hope you don't have any bad reactions to the flu shot. You're getting close to the final stretch!! yay!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like LO is doing perfectly! Any idea on the sex yet? Or are you definitely waiting?

About kick counting - it def stresses me out so Ive decided not to do it. If I havent felt any movement in a while I just lie down for a bit and then I wait for a few movements and then Im happy.

You are doing well!

daega99 said...

Sounds like it was a wonderful appointment! You're lucky to be able to avoid the oGTT - I have to do it on Thursday.

HopeBPatient said...

So very nice to hear that everything continues to go so well! Can't wait to meet (virtually, of course) Elvis!!

Unknown said...

I wouldn't worry about your placenta being low lying at this point. Mine was also and my OB said that it is actually very common in IVF patient's, not sure the reason behind that, but by delivery time it had moved up. As your uterus grows your placenta moves up with the growth!

Momasita said...

So glad to hear your appointment went well. It sounds like your OB is a very patient man and very thorough. Take care!

Alex said...

I love your doc - he sounds so reasonable! Glad to hear everything's going so well!

junebug said...

Yeah for the great visit. I'm so glad that Elvis is doing awesome. :-)

Nick and Kristi said...

Sounds like another great appt..Yipee!!!

linda said...

Fran, I'm with you! I'd be counting kicks, charting frequency and intensity, and wondering what was going on! :) I'm so glad to hear all is well!

Anonymous said...

Great OB visit! Hopefully the placenta will move up, but if not, the C-section will be just fine (says a woman who had one herself!).

I did not do kick counting. Only because I felt the baby moving frequently enough and didn't want or feel the need to have an exact number. You always have the precaution of going to the hospital if you think the movement decreases. And it sounds like Elvis is a mover and shaker anyway.

About the flu vaccine: the chemical composition is probably very different than when you were a child. Here in the US, they are combining the seasonal flu vaccine with the H1N1 vaccine. I would get it if I were you. You do not know how how bad the flu is going to be this year, and pregnant women are at very high risk if they get the H1N1. Several pregnant women in the US died last flu season. Talk to your OB about your concerns and then decide.

Just a few more months!

Circus Princess said...

Of course Elvis is singing and dancing :) ah, kick counts, the next thing on my list to start obsessing about!

Adele said...

Fran, so glad that Elvis is flourishing. And, from the sound of it, dancing a jig along with that song! That's great news. In terms of the flu vaccine, it makes a lot of sense. I know last year's flu was especially dangerous for pregnant mothers and there were all sorts of warnings. The reaction you had complicates things, though:( Anyway, I hope you can get the shot with zero reaction (not even a sore arm!).

Kim said...

I love your appointments, you learn so much each and every time you go. Thanks for sharing your knwowledge, one day I might find it useful too. WHat he said about the kick counting makes total sense and I can completely see how it might cause unneccessary worry for a mom.

I cannot believe you are approaching the final stretch already! Where has the time gone?!

Praying for Hope said...

I hated kick counts. Our little girl would have days where she didn't move much at all and would leave me stressing. If I felt a few movements during the day, I tried not to stress. I think you're lucky to have a little one who enjoys movement.