Monday, March 15, 2010

Patches

Thank you all for you nice comments, I need them.
Patches this morning was not better at all, in fact he was worse. I had two separate nightmares in an almost sleepless night in which we had to put him to sleep. I was in a terrible state this morning.

I brought him in, they took him in and then they phoned us saying his temperature was very high (105.8 which didn't mean much to me until I check the conversion in °C) and that they had him on a cooling system and under oxygen. They wanted to test for FIV (feline version of HIV) and FeLV (a fatal leukemia virus) of course we gave permission and thankfully they were both negative.
The vet thinks it may be either pneumonia (best case scenario) of FIP (feline infectious peritonitis, worse case scenario, fatal). he has fluids in his lungs which makes it very difficult for him to breathe. This morning they gave Patches two different antibiotics, steroids, fluids and something to help him getting rid of the fluids in the lungs. This afternoon his temperature was down to 101.6 (apparently almost normal in cats), had a bit to eat and drink (but he has this gagging reflex, the poor thing, he manages to keep it down though), breathing was much much better and had started to purr again. I went to the vet around 12 (I was useless in work anyway) the nurse was really nice, but I couldn't see him then, she told me about the pneumonia then and said to come around 3 or 4 and I could stay with him a while. So I did. He looks so so miserable and yet he's better than this morning, can you imagine...but I know it could be just a temporary reaction to the steroids as the vet said.
I am totally wrecked, can't eat much myself, my stomach is shut and The Dude at home is looking around behind doors and corners making that trilling sound he does when he wants Patches to come and play. He peed outside the litter box, very unusual for him and clear sign of distress.
And tomorrow I'm going in for my hysteroscopy.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, I am so sorry that Patches is feeling poorly. I hope he feels much better soon!! (((HUGS)))

Mad Hatter said...

Oh, dear Fran - how awful! I am so sorry that Patches in such a state and I couldn't help but read your post and think that this is the last bloody thing this woman needs right now! I wish I could wave my magic wand and it make it all better...instead I am saying kitty prayers for Patches and hysterocsopy prayers for you.
((Hugs))
Love,
Maddy

BB said...

Oh hon, I hate to see you go through this! Hope the meds work on him and ease him soon. I know it is difficult, but try to relax a little before the procedure tomorrow! Thinking of you and wishing you all the best!

jill said...

Yuck. I hope he recovers quickly. Sending you hope and *hugs*!

Fertility Chick said...

Oh Fran. Poor you. Poor Patches! I am relieved to hear that it is not FIV - my cousin's wee cat succumbed to that and it was a horrible shock for them. I am hoping that wee Patches recovers very soon.

Sending you good thoughts for your procedure tomorrow. Hang in, dear friend!!

BelowAverageAthlete said...

Poor Patches!! I am saying prayers for him to get better soon! I hope you are doing OK too. Hugs.

Saige said...

Poor kitty (kitties). The vet will fix him up and he'll be happy and home before you know it. Your love helps him be stronger and try harder to get better.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow. I hope you get some great news.

Loads of love and hugs

TwoDogMama said...

Hi Fran - How awful about Patches. I am sending you mucho good thoughts and wishes that he gets better and is back home soon with you all. I totally understand the feeling of not one more damn thing! It sucks truly, but you are a strong woman and will get through this and your hysteroscopy tomorrow as well. Take care and (((HUGGS))) and prayers.

Mrs. Misfits said...

I'm so sorry about your kitty. My thoughts are with you today and hope everything turns out well.

Kim said...

Oh dear, poor Patches!!!! You poor honey, I wouldn't be able to sleep much either. And how cute his mate is looking for him, so sweet.

Praying for a speedy recovery for both you and Patches.

xoxoxoxoxox

junebug said...

((Hugs)) I am sending you and Patches lots of love. It is so hard when your pet is ill. It's not like they can talk to us and tell us where it hurts. I hope he gets better soon.

Heather said...

Oh poor Patches. Poor Fran! I'm so sorry to hear the latest. I hope he can kick whatever virus he seems to have. Dude must really be missing his buddy. Despite the amount of work they can be, I can't imagine a life without cats!

I hope it goes well tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you. Take care.

Courtney said...

Poor patches. I'm so sorry, Fran. :-( I hope that it turns out to be nothing serious at all and that he starts feeling better soon.

MJ said...

Oh Fran I am so sorry. I am praying for Patches...please keep us updated.

{{HUGS}}

Momasita said...

Oh Fran, I'm so sorry that Patches is so sick. It sounds like the vet is doing everything they can. Hope he's better soon.

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

Good luck tomorrow, and I hope Patches feels better.

tireegal68 said...

Praying hard for sweet Patches and his buddy. I really hope the docs can heal him. Sending hugs to you all:)

Circus Princess said...

Poor little Patches! I hope everything turns out alright and that he pulls through.

Good luck with your hysteroscopy tomorrow Fran!

Anonymous said...

Aw poor Patches - I really hope that the vet can get him sorted my friend.

All the best for the procedure today!

xxx

Adele said...

I'm sorry to hear how sick Patches is. It's just so very unfair. I am hoping for the pneumonia scenario (which sounds a bit off, but hopefully you'll know what I mean) - and that they manage to clear the fluid from his little lungs, and that he is back home with you and Mike and the Dude very soon. So sorry that you're dealing with this just when you're going forward with the hysteroscopy, and just now when you should be focusing on an enjoyable anniversary.

Life really does pile it on sometimes, doesn't it? So sorry:(

Pie said...

I hope your kitty is feeling better, poor guy. And I hope your test today goes smoothly!

Photogrl said...

Poor Patches...I hope he feels better soon!

Thinking about you as you endure the hysteroscopy...good luck!

BB said...

Thinking of you and waiting for your update.

I hope the hysteroscopy went well and also Patches is doing better!

Take care! (HUGS)